Defend The Children.Org NEW

Oklahoma Victims

In Oklahoma:

  • An average of 23,000 reports of suspected child abuse or neglect are made each year.
  • Over one-third of the reported cases are confirmed as child abuse or neglect.
  • Confirmed cases of abuse have risen 71% in the past decade.
  • Children between 7 and 11 years of age are reported most often as a victim of child abuse, and the biological parent is most commonly the perpetrator.
  • An average of 23 children die each year from abuse or neglect.
  • Over half of the child abuse/neglect deaths involve children less than two years of age.
  • Among child abuse/neglect deaths, blacks, Native Americans, and Hispanics are over-represented.
  • Nearly seven out of the 10 deaths involve children not previously involved with the Department of Human Services, Child Protective Services

Rest in Peace

Stepfather arrested for murder of Christopher Barnard

Created on May 05th, 2008 by impqueen now with
UPDATE 5/05/08 - Roxann Marie Barnard has been arrested today in connection with the death of her son Christopher. Please scroll to the bottom of this article for more information.

Steven W. Lockler Jr.Christopher Alan Barnard on Dreamin' DemonRoxann Marie Barnard on Dreamin' Demon

Claremore, OK - Steve Lockler, Jr. married Roxann Marie Barnard in July, 2007 in Claremore, Oklahoma. Less than a year later, Roxann’s son Christopher Alan Barnard, 4, is dead. Steve Lockler allegedly punched the little boy in the stomach with a closed fist on Monday morning. Twice. Then Lockler beat Christopher with a belt while the child’s abdomen was bleeding internally. Soon after, Christopher stopped breathing.

At 11:20 a.m. Monday, Lockler called 911 from the family apartment.  What Lockler first told police was that Christopher, ever clumsy, had fallen in the bathtub.

Christopher Alan Barnard was pronounced dead on Monday at Claremore Regional Hospital. He was four years old. Doctors there said that Christopher died of blunt force trauma to the abdomen. The little boy showed other injuries that pointed to abuse.

Lockler told detectives that while he was babysitting Christopher, he became angry because Christopher had soiled his pants. He stated that he then punched Christopher twice in the stomach with a closed fist and beat him with a belt. That story, say investigators, is consistent with the fatal injuries suffered by the small, blond preschooler.

Steven Lockler Jr. was arrested Monday and charged with first-degree murder in the death of Christopher Barnard. Lockler is being held in the Rogers County Jail without bond.

UPDATE 5/05/08 - Roxann Marie Barnard, 26, was arrested today on a felony charge of permitting child abuse. Barnard allegedly knew about the abuse that her son Christopher was suffering at the hands of Steve Locker, and she did not  do anything about it. DHS also has records of abuse reports about Christopher, but they continued to return him to his mother. Roxann Barnard is being held in the Rogers County Jail on $250,000 bond

Rest in peace
Sweet little boy

 Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
A. DeWade Langley 

Jessica Brown

Public Information Director


 8/13/07                 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE           


OSBI Investigates Coweta Child Abuse Death

The Coweta Police Department requested OSBI assistance with a child abuse case Sunday which resulted in a homicide investigation at 30382 E. 150th Street, apartment #1.   Sunday afternoon, a 2-year-old boy was taken by ambulance to St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa.  Doctors there pronounced Kelynn Eric Byrd (dob 12/27/04) dead.

Investigators interviewed and later arrested the child’s step father, Michael Hernandez (dob 7/14/84).  He was booked into the Wagoner County jail on a first degree murder complaint.   The child’s mother was not at the home when the abuse took place, but returned to find her son in distress and called for help.

The medical examiner will perform an autopsy to determine manner and cause of death.


The accused is an illegal alien and accused of kicking this little boy to death.

Rest In Peace

Kelsey Briggs
Lance Briggs and his ex-wife, Raye Dawn Porter had had a rocky marriage to say the least, it ended with their divorce, but it also lead to the birth of a charming little girl on December 28th, 2002, who could capture hearts with just a simple smile. Kelsey Briggs spent the first years of her life surrounded by the love of her extended family, who would soon learn just how fragile Kelsey's life really was.

Allegations of abuse began, and it wouldn't be long before Kelsey was removed from her mothers care, and put into the custody of Lance's parents. As for Lance, well- he found himself serving his country overseas, and little did he know that back home there was a war waging that would cost him his daughters life.

After a series of bruises and broken bones, the judge on the case who was suppose to have the best interest of Kelsey in mind, released her back into the custody of her abusers.

Kelsey's Story can be read here
, where I have spoken about it before.

Kelsey, and those who loved her best, lost the battle to protect her, when she was beaten to death October 11th of 2005, just months before her birthday. Lance had been on his way home, after being injured in Iraq, when he learned of his only child's death.

Kelsey's mother was charged with enabling child abuse and child neglect, her husband Mike Porter was charged with murder in connection with her death. Only, he most likely will never face a judge or jury for that charge, as news has been released that he was offered, and is planning to accept a plea deal lowering the charges to a lesser charge which would net him 30 years in prison.
A published report says a man accused in the death of a Meeker toddler has agreed to enter a plea to a lesser charge and receive a 30-year prison term.
The Oklahoman says Lincoln County prosecutors have agreed to drop first-degree murder and child sexual abuse charges against Michael Lee Porter.

The 26-year-old would instead face a charge of enabling child abuse for the October 2005 death of Kelsey Smith-Briggs. Porter was scheduled to go on trial February 12th.

Kelsey's family, those who struggled to save her, and then fought for a law that would prevent this sad story from replaying in the lives of other people have created a website and forum in Kelsey's memory. You may visit it here.

Eternally together
Tye 5, Keelie , 7, and Cirea 9,

Three Siblings Found Dead in Okla. House

Friday, August 26, 2005

  • Fort Cobb, Okla. (AP) --

The bodies of three children were discovered in their family's burned-out house Friday, and their father was in custody as a suspect in their deaths, authorities said.

The children's father had been served with a protective order the night before the blaze, FBI spokesman Gary Johnson said.

In the petition, Traci Payne alleged her husband had slapped and threatened her and said "he would kill me, him and the kids," Caddo County court records show. She said there "guns and knives" in the home and asked that the court keep her husband away from their home and the children.

The bodies of Tye Payne, 5, Keelie Payne, 7, and Cirea Payne, 9, were pulled from their charred house following the early morning fire on Caddo Nation federal trust land.

Their father, Dean Payne, 47, was arrested as a suspect, Johnson said. Federal agents are investigating the case because the children died on Indian land.

The children's mother was not home at the time of the fire and is unharmed, said Charles Addington, district chief of police for the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

The exact cause of the children's deaths was not immediately known, Johnson said

Rest In Peace

Published: October 04, 2007 12:22 pm            

Report details child’s abuse, death

Alice Collinsworth
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND Five-year-old DeClan Stewart’s family had a long history of interactions with the Department of Human Services, according to a 16-page report released Wednesday by the Oklahoma Commission on Children and Youth Office of Juvenile System Oversight.

DeClan died Aug. 12, and a first-degree murder charge was filed Aug. 30 against Marcus Clancy, the boyfriend of DeClan’s mother, Janet Stewart.

The report lists seven referrals to DHS, beginning Dec. 31, 2005. The initial referral stated the child was examined at an emergency room. The report stated this was the fourth visit to the ER for the child. DHS assigned the referral as a Priority 1 for investigation.

A skull fracture was reported Jan. 4, 2006; on the same day, DHS received a referral alleging the child had been seen at school with bruises on his head.

On Jan. 9, 2006, a report stated the child was seen in an emergency room with bruising to his genitals, thigh and buttock. The reporting party stated the child had not urinated for a week, had been vomiting, and remained in a fetal position most of the time.

DeClan was admitted to the hospital and placed into police protective custody at that time. He was discharged from the hospital Jan. 11, 2006, and placed in a shelter, then transferred to a different facility Jan. 12.

On Jan. 20, 2006, the child was placed in a kinship foster home.

On Jan. 24, 2006, DHS received a referral alleging the child had not attended school since Jan. 4.

The final referral was received Jan. 25, 2006, alleging the child had missed an appointment at a medical clinic.

DHS re-opened its investigation Feb. 2, 2006, documenting two police reports regarding possible sexual abuse.

On Feb. 3, the district attorney filed an amended petition requesting to terminate the mother’s parental rights to the child. A court hearing took place Feb. 6, 2006.

The journal entry by the court stated the Indian Child Welfare Act applied in the case and the Cherokee Nation was the designated tribe. The court ordered visitation to occur between the child and his mother and requested that DHS prepare a voluntary treatment plan for the mother.

On Feb. 25, 2006, the DHS received a letter from the Cherokee Nation acknowledging its possible involvement in the case.

On March 6, 2006, DHS recommended that the mother’s parental rights be terminated. The court requested that the Cherokee Nation be notified and the district attorney’s office issue notice by publication for the child’s biological father. The mother requested a jury trial.

The biological father’s parental rights were terminated May 23, 2006.

On June 19, a court ordered that the child remain in DHS custody, but a court entry stated that the Indian Child Welfare Act did apply.

Documentation stated that the mother had attended anger management and parenting groups.

DHS prepared a voluntary family service agreement for Marcus Clancy, including parenting classes, anger management, substance abuse prevention services, family therapy and individual therapy.

DHS determined Aug. 16 that the child was unsafe in the home based on a safety assessment.

On July 3, the child was placed back in the mother’s home for trial reunification. DeClan remained in DHS custody. A journal entry in the court record stated the mother had completed her treatment plan and the Cherokee Nation was in agreement with the reunification.

On Aug. 11, DHS received a referral alleging the child had suffered a subdural hematoma and was unconscious and unresponsive.

Edmond Police reported that Clancy claimed the child was climbing in a closet to try and reach a pair of binoculars and fell, hitting the back of his head against a metal bed rail.

However, continued police investigation eventually led to the first-degree murder charge filed against Clancy. He remains in Oklahoma County Jail.

The Cherokee Nation could not be reached for comment this morning.

Sign my Guestbook

Please email admin@defendthechildren if you wish to join or to correspond with us.  Also if you would like to give suggestions or ask questions please email us.  Thank you


This site  The Web 

The information on this site is not to be copied,  transferred or changed in any way without express permission of the owners/managers. Please feel free to link to us.

Much information is copywrited and while we have been granted permission to use it on this site, we do not have permission to transfer that permission to others.

We are grateful and thankful to those allowing us to use their information and strongly recommend that one checks out their websites and our links.  By all of us working together, we can help the children.