Defend The Children.Org NEW

New Hampshire

New Hampshire is a beautiful state filled will a lot to see and to do.  The mountains are very old and not as prominent as the Rockies but they too have been known to claim lives and we advised one take caution in climbing.  Many beautiful lakes and ponds add to one's beauty and pleasure.  It is our wish that someday, we will only have the wonders of NH to report about that day is not here.  For your pleasure  is a link to view and listen too.  Please enjoy and please take your time in reviewing the items below as the children of NH needs your help.  Please join us. 

Click here for Ode to New Hampshire

Medical examiner says Boscawen rampage ended with suicide

New Hampshire Union Leader Staff

The Concord father found dead inside a Boscawen home last year following a standoff in which he stabbed, shot and held his 11-year-old son hostage had stabbed himself to death, authorities announced today.

A state homicide prosecutor initially said Jacob R. Smith, 35, of Concord died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound after his body was found inside the home with a gun and knife nearby. Authorities then said more tests needed to be done to reveal how Smith died March 2, 2007.

Smith forced his way into the house where his son, Matthew Smith, and the boy’s mother, Brenda A. Barnum, 35, were staying with friends. He fatally shot Barnum, wounded another adult and began searching for his son.

Smith forced his way into the bathroom where Matthew was hiding and shot the boy in the abdomen, authorities ruled. The boy stabbed his father with a small knife, authorities said.

Smith then stabbed his son with a large knife. Then, saying “he was sorry,” Smith stabbed himself with the large knife.

The medical examiner said Smith died from stab wounds to the abdomen and chest.Matthew Smith survived his wounds as did the other adult whom Smith shot.

Rest in Peace
Philip and Sarah

Father murdered his two children.
CONCORD, N.H. -- Documents released Wednesday provide chilling details of the deaths of two Concord children,  killed by their father and buried in the Midwest.
Manuel Gehring killed himself in jail while awaiting trial in the deaths of his children, Philip and Sarah. Documents, photographs and an audiotape piece together the events leading up to the killings and the cross-country trip that followed.

Investigators said some of the most crucial information in the murder case came from a passing trucker on Route 93. On July 4, 2003, he saw a van parked at a Windham, N.H., weigh station and a man who looked like Gehring standing nearby.

When police searched the area, they found two drink containers and a Chinese food box spattered in blood.

"Those items have been tested," Assistant Attorney General Jeff Strelzin said. "Two came back positive for human blood, but the DNA had decomposed so much that we could not get a result. We were going to do some more testing when Mr. Gehring killed himself."

Authorities said the weigh station is where Philip and Sarah Gehring were murdered. Manuel Gehring apparently planned the killings a few hours before.

"He went inside his house, and he got not one but two handguns," Attorney General Peter Heed said. "He would later say he wanted to make sure he had enough ammunition."

Police said the motive was a bitter divorce and custody battle that came to a head at a Fourth of July fireworks display. Sarah watched the show with her boyfriend, but according to a police report, her cell phone battery apparently died.

Gehring erupted in anger when he couldn't contact his daughter, and he and his two children later left Concord.

Philip and Sara"He took out the .22-caliber gun and he pointed it at Sarah and fired one shot," Strelzin said. "At that point, Philip stirred. The gun jammed. He said he pulled out the second gun that was a 9-millimeter and fired at Philip multiple times. He said it sounded like a machine gun going off inside the minivan."

Blood evidence, bullet holes and bullet fragments were found inside the van when Gehring was arrested in California.

The leg of Gehring's trip from Grove City, Pa., to Joliette, Ill., took three times longer than it should. That and some plant evidence found on Gehring's vehicle led police to think the bodies are buried somewhere along that route.

On the flight back to New Hampshire in July, Gehring did a brief taped interview with police, saying he wanted to help find the children, but authorities said he seemed more concerned about himself than the lives he took.

"I'm hoping that God has some purpose in this whole thing, and [I'm] hoping something good will come out of this, and I hope to get God's blessing in whatever purpose I might have," Gehring said

When Gehring committed suicide, investigators found nothing in his cell that would help them find the children.

He was angry about child support and custody dispute.  Mother had warned she was fearful he was harmful.

UPDATE  The remains were found and returned to NH for proper burial.



Father who was given child custody, pleas guilty to child sexual molestation.
He's accused of abusing kids in Concord

Monitor staff

October 18. 2005 8:00AM

A man already facing a dozen counts of sexually assaulting children in Hillsboro was arrested yesterday on charges that he also assaulted children in Concord.

Clifford Mundy, 31, of Bible Hill Road in Hillsboro, was charged with three counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault on two children under 13, the Concord police said. Mundy was arraigned at Concord District Court yesterday morning and ordered held on $75,000 cash bail.

Mundy was already being held on $120,000 cash bail at the Hillsborough County jail on charges brought by the Hillsboro police earlier this month. Mundy was charged with 10 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault and two counts of felonious sexual assault on three children under 13.

The Concord police would not say if the assaults in Concord and Hillsboro involve any of the same children. More charges are expected from Antrim, where Mundy has also lived.

Mundy assaulted two children at his home when he lived in Concord from 1997 until 2002, the police said. Mundy lived with his wife and two children in an apartment at Concord Gardens in 1997, court documents show.

The police said Mundy was a Cub Scout leader, and Mundy was registered with the Cub Scouts in Concord in 1999. Mundy may have had access to other children in Concord because his wife babysat many children, said Det. Sgt. Darren Remillard of the Hillsboro police.

Lt. Walter Carroll of the Concord police could not be reached for further comment yesterday.

Mundy is also accused of assaulting three children this past summer at his home in Hillsboro, where he moved in 2002, the police said. Mundy was charged with raping two girls as well as fondling them and engaging in oral sex with them, according to arrest warrants. Mundy forced a boy to perform oral sex on him, the police said. The boy told his father, who reported Mundy to the police, Remillard said.

Mundy was granted primary custody of his daughter and son, now ages 12 and 10, after he divorced his wife in 2003. At the time of his arrest, Mundy was engaged to a woman who had three of her own children, Remillard said. All five children lived with Mundy in Hillsboro, he said.

Mundy worked at Osram Sylvania in Hillsboro and coached Little League for at least the past two years, Remillard said.

Mundy was previously charged with simple assault in July 1997 after the Concord police said he hit his wife in the face, causing bruises and a black eye, court records show. He pled no contest and was sentenced to four months in jail. His sentence was suspended pending alcohol rehabilitation and counseling, which he completed.

A probable cause hearing for the Hillsboro charges is scheduled at Hillsboro District Court on Oct. 24 at 9:30 a.m. A probable cause hearing for the Concord charges is scheduled in Concord District Court on Nov. 3 at 10 a.m.

Mundy could face 10 to 20 years in prison for each charge of aggravated felonious sexual assault.

UPDATED:  February 10, 2007

CONCORD, N.H. -- A Hillsboro man accused of sexually assaulting several young children has been sentenced to 20-50 years in prison.

Clifford Mundy, 32, pleaded guilty last week to eight counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, one count of incest and one count of attempted sexual assault. He also pleaded guilty to two other sexual assaults and a solicitation charge in October.


Judge says no to jail for 'time bomb'

New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent

Prosecutors failed to convince a judge that a man who threatened his girlfriend with a sword - while out on bail for smacking his young son's head into a table - should have his bail revoked.

David Vitello Jr. of Salem was arrested in mid-February after he allegedly brandished a sword at his girlfriend, and threatened to chop her head off, in front of his 6-year-old daughter. At the time of the arrest for criminal threatening, he was out on bail for an incident last June in which he allegedly struck his then 6-year-old son's head, knocking it into a table and causing a concussion. Yesterday, Rockingham County Superior Court Judge John Lewis denied prosecutors' efforts to have Vitello's bail revoked for the sword incident.

After the decision, Rockingham County Attorney Jim Reams harshly criticized Lewis' decision, calling Vitello a "ticking time bomb" and warning that he fears "the worst."

feb20 vitello 60px


In court yesterday morning, Vitello admitted to Lewis that he had an anger management problem and that he had struck the table in front of his girlfriend with a sword. An affidavit supporting his arrest by Salem police described Vitello as having "a fascination with cutlery."

After his arrest in February, Vitello spent four weeks in jail, before being freed on $10,000 surety bond late last month.

Lewis said he was concerned that sending Vitello back to jail - where his lawyer said he did not receive the medications he needs for mental health issues - would not do any good. During the hearing, Lewis said he was trying to balance protecting the community with allowing a man the right to be free on bail while awaiting trial. He said it was a "close" decision.

Police: Man made sword threat (2)

"We don't have to automatically warehouse people (in jail) when you don't have ideas on how to deal with them," Lewis told Assistant Rockingham County Attorney Karen Springer.

"He did commit a new crime, with a sword," Springer protested, arguing that since Vitello was already out on bail for one violent crime, the burden was on Vitello to prove he was not a threat to the community after his second arrest.

Vitello's attorney, Sarah Paris, said the woman he is accused of threatening with a sword, Kelly Davis, is no longer living with Vitello. Paris said the two had a "toxic" relationship and said Davis had a conviction for assaulting Vitello.

Over Springer's protests, Lewis allowed Vitello to return to Salem to live with a friend, who Vitello initially could not name or give an address for. After a short recess to allow Vitello to locate the friend's information, Lewis ordered Vitello to live at the friend's house for two weeks, until he can move in with his father, David Vitello Sr., of Sandown. Vitello may not have contact with the son he allegedly struck.

Reams blasted Lewis' decision. According to prosecutors, Vitello struck his son for spitting juice and threatened Davis with the sword because he found out she spoke with an ex-girlfriend. Reams said this demonstrates he is a person with a short temper who is a danger.

"It's baffling," Reams said. "We have to hope that, despite all the evidence to the contrary, for once this kid will control his temper."

Reams also denied that his office wanted to "warehouse" anyone.

"It's not a matter of warehousing it's a matter of protecting the public," he said. "I hope nothing comes of this, I fear for the worst, but hope nothing comes of it."

In 2002, Reams investigated complaints made by David Vitello Sr., who accused the Sandown Police Department of violating his family's civil rights. The elder Vitello claimed his wife was taken into custody for no good reason in January 2002, and that in March 2002, he was handcuffed during an investigation into a domestic dispute between his son and his wife. Reams did not find any "prosecutable criminal violation of any civil rights statutes."

Man guillty of molesting adopted sons in the 80's has been given 20 year sentence


DOVER — A 58-year-old local man who accepted responsibility for molesting his two adopted sons over a period of six years in the 1980s will spend at least the next 20 years of his life incarcerated.

James Halldorson, formerly of 56 Summer St., was sentenced to a minimum of 20 and a maximum of 40 years in state prison during a sentencing hearing in Strafford County Superior Court on Tuesday. He had pleaded guilty to three counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault and one count of felonious sexual assault on Sept. 11.

“I can’t disregard in any sense the harm that the criminal acts have caused. The harm that has been caused to these victims is harm which they will live with for the rest of their lives,” said Judge Peter Fauver, before granting the state’s sentencing recommendation. “Let me tell you, that if you did not live an exemplary life and this had been recent, and you put these kids through trial, you’d be looking at the rest of your life (in prison).”

A former administrator at Mercy Hospital in Portland, Maine, Halldorson was arrested in November 2005 following an investigation by Durham police.

Halldorson, also a father of two biological sons, was indicted on four counts in February, with each indictment detailing multiple counts of sexual assault committed in a home in Durham between 1982 and 1988. Combining each indictment, a total of 40 counts were alleged, all of to which Halldorson pleaded guilty.

One of the victims, now 32, spoke emotionally at the hearing, turning the podium so it faced his adopted father, who was dressed in a jail jumpsuit and shackled. The victim was 9 years old when the molestations began.

“I’ve tried but I’ve decided I will never forgive you — you do not deserve it,” the victim, a married father of two, said. “You hand-picked us … we were adopted into this sick life to fulfill him. The actions of his molestations don’t hurt as much as that.”

The other victim, now 33 years old, also spoke, never taking his eyes off his adopted father. He was 10 when the molestations began.

“You don’t think you did anything wrong, and I know it. But you did something wrong,” he said loudly, leaning over the podium.

Halldorson, turning to face his victims and their family, said he was ashamed of his actions and expressed remorse.

“I have lived in a world of lies and deceit, a world of dishonesty,” Halldorson said. “Unfortunately, I succumbed to something deep inside of me that I can’t explain … I was wrong, I am sorry, and now I must pay the consequences.”

Halldorson said the molestations occurred during a period of alcoholism, for which he sought treatment around the time of the molestations. He did not have any supporters in the courtroom.

Halldorson’s attorney, Lincoln Soldati, fought for a lighter sentence of 71⁄2 to 15 years to cover all counts.

“There’s no indication whatsoever … that my client has done anything over the past 20 years but lived a productive, lawful life,” Soldati said. “He has accepted the responsibility, he has accepted the guilt for these crimes … there’s not a lot more he can do.”

On two of the counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, Halldorson was sentenced to 71⁄2 to 15 years in prison. He was sentenced to 5 to 10 years on the third count of aggravated felonious sexual assault. On a charge of felonious sexual assault, Halldorson was sentenced to 31⁄2 to 7 years in prison to run concurrently with the former sentences.

“Certainly these are terrible crimes,” said Prosecutor Eric Gentes after the hearing. “I think the sentences are appropriate.”

As a condition of his sentence, Halldorson will also have to complete the state prison’s sex offender program.


(Why don't children have the same rights as adults have when reporting a sex crime? When will the courts stop torturing children for telling the truth?)

Man Convicted For Third Time Of Raping 8 year old Girl, 11 Years Ago

POSTED: 11:11 am EST December 14, 2007
MANCHESTER, N.H. -- A Manchester man faces life in prison after being convicted for the third time of raping an 8-year-old girl 11 years ago.
Delvin White was originally convicted of raping the girl in 1997, but the conviction was overturned by an appeals court. He was convicted again in 2005, and the conviction was again overturned, that time by the state Supreme Court.
Hillsborough County Attorney Marguerite Wageling said the victim was courageous for being willing to testify against White in a third trial, 11 years after the crimes. Wageling said the victim's credibility was challenged frequently by defense attorneys during the trials.
White is being held pending sentencing. He could be sentenced to life in prison.
COCHRAN AWAITING trial for videotaping himself molesting a 2 year old girl.

NASHUA – The girl whom Michael Cochran allegedly raped and molested six years ago is now an anorexic, suicidal 8-year-old, her mother said

“Things are very, very hard with her,” the girl’s mother said, all the more so because the girl’s feelings toward Cochran remain conflicted despite the alleged abuse.

Cochran, 37, is charged with raping and molesting the girl repeatedly from 2000-03, and molesting another girl from 2004-06. He also faces child pornography charges for allegedly filming both girls. Cochran has pleaded innocent to all charges, but remains jailed, unable to post $250,000 bail.Authorities investigated reports of suspected abuse starting when the girl was two, her mother said. Cochran saw the girl regularly before his arrest in May.

ACCORDING TO HER MOTHER, The girl is underweight, at 55 pounds, and has been diagnosed with anorexia and other psychiatric disorders.  “She was first diagnosed with ADHD, but now they believe it’s post-traumatic stress disorder,”  The girl sees therapists four times a week and must remain supervised at all times.  She was hospitalized for nine days after a suicide attempt last summer.

Published: Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Expert: Man's mental illness exaggerated

NASHUA – Michael Cochran may have a mental illness, but he tends to exaggerate it, a psychiatrist testified Monday.

Cochran, 38, formerly of 45 Cross St. and 79C Lake St., is accused of videotaping his rape of a toddler and his molestation of another young girl. He has been jailed since his arrest last year and faces a total of nine felony sexual assault charges and 11 child pornography charges in the two cases.

Cochran's lawyer, James Dennehy, of Bedford, argued that Cochran suffers from amnesia and may not be mentally competent to stand trial.

A psychiatrist who examined Cochran last week, the state's Chief Forensic Examiner Dr. James Adams, testified Monday that Cochran's claims are greatly exaggerated, however.

Cochran's trials on the assault charges have been delayed while Hillsborough County Superior Court Judge William Groff considers whether he is capable of understanding the charges against him and working with his lawyers on his case. Groff did not immediately rule on the matter after hearing evidence Monday.

Adams said he evaluated Cochran in part using the "M-FAST," or Miller Forensic Assessment of Symptoms Test. The test was designed to detect faking or exaggerating symptoms of mental illness, he testified.

Cochran scored "sort of off the scale," indicating to a certainty that he was exaggerating the extent of his illness, Adams testified.

Though Cochran has a clear motive to do so now, his medical records indicate that he has often exaggerated his problems in the past, Adams said. Cochran has been treated for mental health problems, including anxiety disorder and major depression since at least 1991, Adams said.

While Cochran's illness is real, Adams said, his records suggest that his treating doctors also viewed some of his symptoms with skepticism, writing that he "claims" certain conditions, rather than "presents" or "reports" them.

Dennehy wrote that Cochran's condition includes "extreme memory loss," and that his client has no memory of the offenses with which he's charged.

It's common for people accused of heinous crimes to have trouble recounting the details, Adams said. Cochran didn't show any signs of consistent memory problems, though Adams said he appeared to have "a casual relationship with the truth."

"I use the phrase, 'motivated forgetting,'" Adams testified. "It's been my observation that many people who do violent crimes," especially those they later regret, "don't remember the specifics. I think that's a self-protective measure."

On the other hand, he added, "Other people just lie."

Cochran has been kept in protective custody at the county jail, locked alone in a cell virtually all the time, Dennehy said, and he fears being released into the general population. Adams confirmed Cochran's anxiety was real, but added that it was also reasonable under the circumstances.

A former girlfriend of Cochran, the mother of one of the girls he is accused of assaulting, testified that Cochran always had a good memory for birthdays, anniversaries and the like, but often lied about things like his guitar playing abilities and problems keeping a job.

Cochran admitted to assaulting at least one of the girls when he spoke with police, but he has since argued that his statements and videos of the assaults should not be allowed as evidence in the case. A hearing on that matter was delayed by Cochran's request for a mental health evaluation, back in early June.

Two women turned over the video to police at the instruction of another man, Thomas Thompson, a friend of Cochran who was jailed on unrelated rape charges.

Thompson, 39, formerly of 45 Cross St., was sentenced in June to seven to 14 years in prison for having sex with a 13-year-old girl. Police reported that Thompson told a former girlfriend of Cochran's video because he'd heard Cochran was bad-mouthing him.

The videotape allegedly shows Cochran raping and sexually assaulting a 2-year-old girl. The women later turned over computer discs that included images and video showing another girl whom Cochran allegedly molested, police reported. Cochran's girlfriend, Katherine Johnson, 37, is accused of helping to pose that girl for the video.


This case is not about a child but nonetheless tragic as the men wereunable to help themselves and the police should have intervened as they had been called and they saw one man in a slumped over condition in a public place.  Prehaps, the police need more training, compassion or simply more backing them up in the courts.

Defense asks why police did not intervene

New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent

Defense attorneys pressed an Epping police officer yesterday to admit his department did not intervene in the relationship between Kenneth Countie and Sheila LaBarre, despite LaBarre's lengthy history of domestic violence.

LaBarre, 49, has admitted to murdering Countie and another boyfriend, Michael Deloge, but is pleading insanity.

Yesterday, Epping police Lt. Michael Wallace said he was well aware of statewide suggested protocols dictating how to intervene in domestic violence situations, but said his department did not do so on several occasions, including an encounter between Epping police and LaBarre and a sickly looking Countie, just days before he died.

More on the LaBarre trial

Prosecutors objected before Wallace could answer why his department did not intervene between Countie and LaBarre.

However, Wallace described an earlier incident in which he and another Epping police officer went to LaBarre's remote horse farm to do a well-being check on another boyfriend, James Brackett. LaBarre initially refused to come to the door, then shouted at them from an upstairs window, resisting their requests to show them that Brackett was alive and well. Eventually, LaBarre "reached down and lifted him up to the window by his hair," Wallace said.

Asked why he and the other officer, Epping Police Sgt. Sean Gallagher, did not intervene at that point, Wallace said this did not seem to be unusual behavior for LaBarre.

"Both Sgt. Gallagher and I viewed that as common behavior from Ms. LaBarre," he said on the stand. "Mr. Brackett never protested, never indicated he wasn't okay."

Defense attorneys also questioned a number of other police officers from around the region about various odd contacts they had with LaBarre.

A Somersworth police officer testified about being called to a rental property Lebarre owned in that town in March 2006 -- just days before Countie disappeared -- and found the floors torn up, the apartment in disarray and the words, "Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord," scrawled on the wall.

A Hampton police officer described a 1998 incident when LaBarre was arrested for domestic assault on Brackett, and became disruptive in court as she was being arraigned, insisting that she was bleeding from the vagina and no one would help her.

Upon cross-examination, the officer said LaBarre refused medical treatment as soon as she was out of the courtroom.

Coherent, specific

All of the officers who testified said LaBarre was coherent and focused on specific complaints when they dealt with her. A psychiatrist who testified for the defense last week said he believes LaBarre is suffering from paranoid delusions that make her think all men are pedophiles and that she is an avenging angel sent to protect society or children.

The various police officers who testified yesterday said LaBarre never expressed that sentiment to them throughout the years they knew her.

New Hampshire State Police detective Jill Rockey, who interrogated LaBarre for several hours after police first discovered a human bone burning on her front lawn, also testified that LaBarre struck her as manipulative and controlling. In a tape of the interrogation, LaBarre frequently goes off subject, and Rockey sometimes struggled to keep her on topic. Rockey testified she believes the ramblings were intentional.

"She would definitely try to lead us away when we asked a direct question," Rockey recalled. "Depending on the question, if she wanted to answer it, she would. And if she didn't, she would just try and lead us away."

Rockey said she thought it was odd how LaBarre gave detailed accounts of old conversations, recited court dates from a tax dispute from several years earlier, but yet struggled to recall the last conversation she had with Countie -- which would've taken place just days before the interrogation. During the interview, Rockey had LaBarre sign a consent form allowing police to search her property, but LaBarre altered the document, crossing out sections that said she gave police the right to use anything they found against her in a criminal court.

"I thought it was brilliant; I've never seen anyone do that," Rockey said.

However, Rockey conceded on questioning, the move was not "brilliant" enough to work, as all of the evidence collected during the search became the foundation for the case against LaBarre.

Wal-Mart visits

Several employees of the Epping Wal-Mart also testified about two incidents in March 2006, just days before Countie disappeared, in which they saw him accompanied by LaBarre at the store.

During the first incident, LaBarre became angry when she said a woman assaulted Countie, and then pulled up his shirt, displaying fresh wounds that an assistant manager at the store said "looked like he had been in a motorcycle accident."

LaBarre threatened a lawsuit and was asked to leave.

On a second visit, Countie's skin appeared green and he was slumped in a wheelchair. LaBarre piled yellow diesel gas cans into his lap as she pushed him around. During this incident, LaBarre told the store manager that she was a multi-millionaire attorney, who could shop at Nieman-Marcus, but chose to shop at the Epping Wal-Mart because "if the clothing line is good enough for Sam Walton, it's good enough for me."

During this second incident, two Epping police officers briefly spoke with LaBarre, and tried talking to Countie but were stopped by LaBarre. The two officers testified earlier in the trial that no further effort to separate the two was made. Countie's name was never actually mentioned in the original incident report.

The trial is expected to run longer than originally planned, with the defense continuing their case until at least Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Then prosecutors will begin their case.

Unlike normal criminal cases, in which the state must prove a defendant is guilty, the burden is on the defense to prove LaBarre is insane, and the presumption is that she is sane. If the jury finds that she is insane, she will likely be sent to the secure psychiatric unit at the state prison. Every five years she would have the opportunity to convince a judge that she is no longer dangerous. If the jury finds she was sane at the time of the murders, she will be sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole.

Sign my Guestbook

Please email admin@defendthechildren if you wish to join or to correspond with us.  Also if you would like to give suggestions or ask questions please email us.  Thank you


This site  The Web 

The information on this site is not to be copied,  transferred or changed in any way without express permission of the owners/managers. Please feel free to link to us.

Much information is copywrited and while we have been granted permission to use it on this site, we do not have permission to transfer that permission to others.

We are grateful and thankful to those allowing us to use their information and strongly recommend that one checks out their websites and our links.  By all of us working together, we can help the children.